Sunday, September 30, 2012

"Beef" and Cheese Empanadas with Green Chile Sauce

I went to the grocery store this evening in search of plantains.  They did not have any so I had to quickly decide on a plan B.  I saw empanada rounds in the freezer case and decided to give them a try.  Now I'm glad the store didn't have plantains because these were excellent.  I used queso fresco, instead of a more traditional melty cheese (like cheddar).  I'm sure this isn't the "proper" use of queso fresco, but I loved the extra saltiness it added to the empanadas.  They made a great pairing with the delicious rice and beans my boyfriend made.  I'd include that recipe, but he threw so many ingredients in that I'm absolutely certain he doesn't remember how he made them!

Empanadas

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 bag Boca ground crumbles
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (I used some that had pepper and onion added)
1 block queso fresco
20 store bought empanada rounds (I used Goya), thawed
2 cups canola oil

Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat.  Add garlic and cook for a minute or two.  Stir in ground crumbles and cook for a couple of minutes.  Add tomatoes and their juices.  Simmer, stirring frequently, until liquid is completely evaporated, about 20 to 30 minutes.

Place a spoonful of the "meat" mixture on the center of an empanada round.  Take a small hunk of the queso fresco and break it up over the "meat".  Fold empanada round in half and crimp the edges with a fork.  Repeat until ingredients are gone.

Heat canola oil in a large frying pan.  Fry empanadas for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown.  You'll need to do this in several batches.

Serve immediately, topped with a spoonful of Green Chile Sauce.

Green Chile Sauce

2 poblano peppers
2 cloves garlic
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and chopped
3 green onions, ends trimmed
1 bunch cilantro stems and leaves
1/2 tsp salt
juice of one lime

Char poblano peppers on a grill or over the burner of a gas stove.  Wait until they're cool enough to handle and rub off charred skin.  Stem and seed peppers and place in food processor.  Add remaining ingredients and buzz until chopped.


No comments:

Post a Comment