Saturday, June 2, 2012

Pasta Sauce

One of my favorite childhood memories is coming home from school in the winter to the smell of homemade pasta sauce cooking on the stove.  The house would be cozy and warm, with delicious scents emanating from the kitchen.  Homemade sauce is still one of my favorite meals.  This is my go-to recipe.  It's the meal that I'm most likely to make for people when I have them over for dinner the first time.

The sauce is comprised mainly of canned tomatoes, so it is important to buy fairly high quality.  I like Wegman's Italian Classics, Muir Glen or Trader Joe's the best.  Unless you use Wegman's Kitchen Cut tomatoes, you should get whole tomatoes.  Diced or crushed will be too watery.  I plan for one can of tomatoes per person that I'm serving, and adjust the seasonings accordingly.  This is the first time I've actually written this recipe out, so hopefully the measurements are correct!

3 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cans whole tomatoes
2 Tbsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp dried parsley
3 Tbsp dried basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
10 fresh basil leaves, torn

Heat olive oil in large pot.  Add garlic and cook for a minute or two.  Add tomatoes and their juices.  Cut them up with a wooden spoon (or this from Pampered Chef).  Add dried herbs, crushed red pepper, sugar, salt and pepper.  Simmer uncovered until liquid is mostly evaporated, about two hours, stirring occasionally.  Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary.  Stir in torn basil about 5 minutes before serving.


Here's the sauce, served with homemade pasta from "The Pasta Bible" cookbook and homemade cheese, using this kit...


Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment